A good quality mattress can have a big impact on your sleep and buying a new one could be important if your current mattress is not granting you the sleep you need.
However, mattresses can be expensive, and there are many different varieties on offer with a multitude of factors that can seem overwhelming when making your decision. While quality is important, spending the vast sums of money frequently charged for high-end mattresses is not possible for many people.
If you are hoping to find a good mattress at an affordable price, there are several ways you can save money on your purchase. Understanding what you must look for in a mattress and knowing which extras you need can help you keep costs down. Finding good deals through alternative means can help to lower the cost of your mattress purchase, while still allowing you the best mattress your budget can buy. More information about how to save money on a new mattress is covered in the sections below.
Take Time to Compare
It can take a while to make your choice, as looking at many different mattress options allows you the chance to find the best prices. Going to stores and testing the mattresses is an important part of the process, but do not let a salesperson pressure you into buying a mattress right away. Take your time and visit numerous stores if you must in order to decide on a mattress that suits your needs.
Keep in mind that other costs may affect the final sales price while you do your research. For example, shipping and delivery fees can add greatly to the cost of a mattress purchase. You may find a slightly more expensive mattress with free delivery, making it the best deal overall. You may also find that it makes more sense to buy a mattress in-store and carry it out yourself rather than order one online.
Try looking at cheaper models and brands first, as you may find the perfect mattress within one of the lowest price brackets. While a low-quality mattress might simply necessitate another purchase within a few years, some cheaper brands can offer good mattresses at much more affordable prices.
Your Personal Comfort
While there may be many helpful suggestions, when it comes to finding the right type of mattress for a good night’s sleep, there is no complete set of rules. Your comfort is something only you can decide. Keeping this in mind can help you turn down expensive mattress brands simply because they are well advertised.
Related Article: What to Look For When Buying Furniture
Determining what you want from a mattress can help you narrow down your search. You might need to know the different mattress types.
Some common mattress types include:
- Innerspring mattresses – These mattresses are common, and are often the cheapest option. Those with thicker spring coils offer more firmness and support, while thinner coils offer more of a bounce.
- Memory foam mattresses – Memory foam can contour to the shape of your body, cushioning you all over. These mattresses can be good for those who need extra support and warmth. However, they are generally pricier than innerspring mattresses.
- Latex mattresses – Latex mattresses are firm, in a similar manner to memory foam mattresses, but without the cushioning quality of memory foam.
- Air mattresses – Air mattresses have an interior section allowing you to inflate or deflate the mattress slightly to suit your preferences. These can be expensive, and you may find another mattress suits your needs without adjustment.
- Hybrid mattresses – A hybrid generally uses springs and foam for a combination of support and cushioning. The combination has different effects depending on the style of the mattress, and it is important to try this type before buying.
Marketing and Sales
Look out for sales and consider waiting to make your purchase until one rolls around. For example, mattresses are often on sale in May, as new models tend to be released in June. Additionally, holidays might mean a special sale, and you can keep an eye out for coupons to put toward your purchase. Be sure to investigate any advertised savings to make sure you are truly getting a good deal.
Try to be aware of any added mattress purchase costs that are simply the result of marketing. They may be advertised as high-end improvements but could add little or nothing to the quality of the mattress itself, such as an attractive mattress cover.
On the other hand, a quality weave for the cover can be useful, as it may increase the longevity of the mattress. In general, most marketing related to the cover, whether color or material, must generally be ignored, as the mattress is covered in sheets before you sleep on it.
If you are offered any extras as part of your purchase, take time and consider whether they are truly needed, as they can often drive up the price. Some examples of these additions include:
- Box springs, which may be entirely unnecessary if you already have a frame for your bed. You may choose to search for a mattress that fits your old box spring, as this may still be in working order.
- A frame may be offered as part of a mattress purchase, but you may not need one if you already have a box spring.
- Pillow tops can add to the comfort of your bed, but they may not suit your personal preferences. Additionally, the tops can wear out before the mattress does, leaving the pillowing flattened after a few years of use.
Buying your mattress online can sometimes be the cheapest option. The costs are lower due to reduced overheads, which means the quality of the mattress could be high for a low cost. There are often promotional codes, discounts or coupons you can use.
You must have an opportunity to ask about returns policies and shipping fees through the website. Ideally, you would be able to find a model you have already tested in a store. Many online mattress companies offer a trial period, allowing you to return the mattress after trying it out at home.
Whether purchasing online or in-store, there may be an opportunity to haggle over the cost of the mattress you want, as well as other items. You could try negotiating over:
- The price if the mattress has been marked over the manufacturer’s minimum sales price.
- Added extras, such as a free box spring, pillows or set of sheets.
- Free shipping and delivery to your home.
Related Article: Best Mattress for a Good Night’s Rest