Your kitchen is the heart of the home. It is where you prepare meals and catch up with your family and friends. Kitchens are also a big selling point and add value to your home. A kitchen remodel can be an investment that pays for itself. New appliances and major renovations, however, can cost thousands.
Fortunately, there are several cheap kitchen remodel ideas that you can do for less than $100. If you are looking for kitchen remodel ideas on a budget, check out these affordable updates.
Cabinets take up most of the view in your kitchen. They can cause a big eyesore if they are outdated or dirty.
To replace them, each cabinet can cost $50 to $650, for the material alone. On average, new kitchen cabinets cost between $2,000 and $8,000, plus installation around $5,000 depending on location. If you need custom or semi-custom cabinets, you can expect to pay more than $13,000 for a small kitchen.
However, if you want to redo your kitchen cabinets on a budget, a fresh coat of paint can drastically change the look of your kitchen. And, a bucket of premium paint only costs $50.
Update your cabinets with a fresh coat of paint or give it a makeover by picking a new color. Follow these eight steps when painting your cabinets:
- Prep your kitchen by clearing the space, putting up painters’ tape and plastic sheets where needed, and relocating appliances to another room. Set up a worktable since you will need an area to paint doors and drawers.
- Remove cabinet doors, drawers, and hardware. Label doors to their cabinet boxes using painters’ tape and a marker, so you can match them correctly when you are done.
- Clean all paintable surfaces of grime, dirt, and oils, so the paint will adhere to your cabinets better.
- Sand or chemically remove the existing finish. Paint sticks to clean, rough surfaces much better than dirty, glossy ones. Make sure to wipe the surfaces after to remove any sanding dust.
- Prime your cabinet boxes, doors, and drawers.
- After the primer dries, sand the surface with 220-grit paper and then wipe it down.
- Paint! You will need to apply at least two coats of paint to fully cover the surface.
- Reassemble your cabinets by matching the door numbers to the cabinets.
Updating your cabinets will have a huge effect on your kitchen’s aesthetics. However, if you are not much of a painter, you can still update your cabinets affordably.